Saturday, September 02, 2006

A Visit with the Funny Pages

All it takes is going out of town to find out what comics print where, and the differences in your geo-political location. Major metropolitan areas (such as Washington, DC) seem to have no problem issuing a two-section comic insert, while those of us living in lesser-populated areas only get one. Unfortunately, what we do get isn’t necessarily so hotsy-totsy.

I guess I should be pleased to be able to read old "Peanuts" strips now that Charles Shultz is gone. I used to read those little "Peanuts" paperbacks when I was a kid. I still love watching “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” and “A Charlie Brown Christmas.”

In general, I should be thrilled that "Doonesbury" is even printed in my comic pages, considering I live in a heavy-Republican Southern state.

But what is this comic strip “Rhymes With Orange?” The title alone amuses me to no end, since there is not any single word in the English language that rhymes with the word “orange.” (or is there)? Plus, its writer/creator is a woman. How great is that? “Sherman’s Lagoon” is adorable, and I thought “Monty” and “Out of the Gene Pool” are not bad. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of these while I am temporarily staying in the area. I am also delighted to be able to read “Opus,” which is an off-shoot of “Bloom County,” my all-time favorite comic. It just so happens that I own several stuffed Opus dolls. They are currently in storage, waiting for the time my house is finally remodeled inside, and the dust has settled enough to allow me to have kafca on display.

So, as all good things must come to an end, I will be returning shortly to that comic desert in which I reside. I must say, though, I really do miss Bill the Cat.


3 Comments:

Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi closet Trekkie,
I used to peanuts & Charlie Brown cartoons, I guess South Park is The next generation. lol!

Good luck with your unprolific
One soul-moving 5000 page tome
or five 1000 page books, or
ten 500 page novels, ...
however it may come out.

You could start with a short one, and then leave it open ended, so that youcan add to the adventure, until it builds into a tome.

Hope you are enjoying your stra long weekend!

6:30 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Margaret,
I was taking a day off space, with feet or hoofs one the ground, but
there was a link on previous post to
hubble telescope images

However just for you, here it is
favourite pictures of the universe

One of my favourites too. lol!


and for the pleiades:
Pleiades

Thanks for stopping by my place.
Now I know where you are I'll be back, for more. laters ...

6:31 PM  
Blogger Margaret III said...

Oh, wow - thanks for the writing encouragement. I know I will get some sort of epiphany or similar and it will take shape. Thank you for the links. I went back to your site to see if you posted a Horse Nebula link, and there it was! It went well with the other equine links - icing on the cake.
It's a gray holiday Monday and I am still trying to read the Sunday papers.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home